The best overall look goes to Taylor Swift, without question. Her hair, make-up, and dress were all amazing! Many others tried, but none succeeded in eclipsing this talented beauty. She also looked happy, had fun, danced to some of the performances, and despite the plunging neckline she didn’t look garish or naked. Let’s take a look at some other great hairstyles:
Jennifer Hudson, Selena Gomez, Naya Rivera, and Ciara all had lovely tresses as well. I usually don’t like hair to look too “everyday” at an awards show, but this is MTV, and it’s a little more casual.
- Jennifer’s hair is glossy, with a very slight color change from root to tips; a very natural, healthy look.
- Selena’s is longer and fuller than we are used to seeing, thanks to some new hair extensions. Since Selena’s hair is naturally very thick, she needs a LOT of them in order for them to blend well, which they do here. See this post for more info on how to get natural-looking extensions.
- Naya’s hair (also extensions) is long , sleek and sexy, with volume at the top and more tapered ends, which help the extensions look natural. Visit this post for a DIY/tutorial on getting a voluminous blowdry like this, with or without extensions.
- Ciara, who had been wearing an extreme ombre look for some time, toned it down to a more natural look by adding lots of darker hair, but keeping a few key strands lighter for dimension. Brava, ladies!
Two modern Queens of the quick-change hair, Lady Gaga and Beyonce, wowed with new looks. Gaga changed hers throughout her performance, but this long, black wig is my fave of the night. Beyonce, whose hair changes have been the talk of the town lately, showed up at an afterparty with yet another new style; a long bob that was wavy, blonde, and fabulous!
There were a few other gals, however, who truly missed the mark on going casual but “done.” These two really struggled, especially with frizz. Get a Brazilian Blowout, for Pete’s sake! Or at least some powerful smoothing products. Here’s how I imagine Arianna Grande’s prep time went: ‘Oh, are the MTV Awards today? I haven’t had my roots done in 3 months. I’ll spray some of that colored hairspray over the front, no one will notice. OK, let’s see, I have these old clip-in hair extensions lying around, and a 2″ curling iron (too big, won’t do much, oh well)…hm, I need a nap.’ And then after tossing and turning for 2 hours, she woke up and ran out the door. But hey, at least she tried. Ellie Goulding’s hair looks like she got up Sunday morning, went to the farmers market, ran short on time, and decided not to shower.
Maybe next year will be better for these young ladies! Back to the subject of trying hard and failing, I don’t think it would be fair to write this post without mentioning a few hideous hairdos as well. What were Miley and Jada thinking??
Who gets your vote for Best Hair of the 2013 VMAs?
BECOME A VIP FOR FREE. ENTER YOUR EMAIL BELOW AND RECEIVE:
- Surprises and VIP-only content for beauties like you!
- Tips and more to help you look your best every day!
- Find out about all kinds of cool stuff FIRST!
- Exclusive Giveaways!