Stop Battling Frizz with Brazilian Blowout™

I think I may have found what my hair has been missing for some 30-odd years! The Brazilian Blowout™! I have been researching treatments that create smoother hair and would cut down on my blow-drying time. I have thick wavy hair and in the summer heat I have no desire to blow dry for 20 minutes so I often let my hair air dry. This leads to a lot more work and time in the morning with the curling iron to try and make something out of the frizzy mess on the top of my head. As you know, a busy mom doesn’t have extra time in the morning to mess with a curling iron!

I asked Jordana Lorraine, a certified Brazilian Blowout Specialist at Phenix Salon Suites in Marina Del Rey, to give us more information about the treatment called Brazilian Blowout™. I learned a lot about the process, most importantly that when requesting this treatment, be sure you are getting the name brand and your treatment is being done by someone who is certified to do so. Read on…

2 Moms Before and After Brazilian Blowout

Jordana says:

After battling frizzy, puffy hair for most of my 32 years, I had resigned myself to curls with 4 layers of product, or an hour’s worth of styling when I wanted a more put-together look. I’d heard of lots of straighteners, but they were harsh, contained scary chemicals, or fried the hair into unnatural straightness…until your big roots come back in. That is, until I heard about the Brazilian Blowout™!

I couldn’t believe what I was reading: non-damaging, semi-permanent, safe for colored/highlighted hair, actually strengthens your hair and seals split ends?! I had it done ASAP, because I had to see it to believe it.

I did some comparisons to other services stemming from the Brazilian process called Escova Progressiva, because it is confusing and many people are mis-using the brand name of Brazilian Blowout as a “category” of service but actually using very different chemicals/processes. Many have a waiting period of several days before washing your hair, wearing a ponytail, or even putting sunglasses on top of your head because the product is still “settling in.” One negligent flip of the shades, and you could be wearing a dent in your hair for months! I don’t know about you, but for me that’s a big price to pay for a tiny mistake.

Many of these other treatments are sold to stylists eager to jump on the “Brazilian bandwagon” without training, certification or support; Brazilian Blowout™ provides ongoing education and call-in support for nay questions a stylist may have.

What’s next? I couldn’t wait to begin changing lives. OK, that may be a bit dramatic. But I’ve had clients say that, especially Moms who just don’t have an hour a day to tame their hair.

Brazilian Blowout™ is not a straightener, per se. It eliminates frizz, and wavy hair will become straight, but with a natural look. Curly hair will have a soft bend or beachy wave when air-dried. A few minutes with a dryer and a flat brush will have you looking smooth and shiny like you wouldn’t believe! My personal styling time was cut to 7 minutes, from 45! I was stunned! Best of all, it fades away slowly instead of getting “roots”; if you choose not to do it again, your hair will be back to its original state in about 4 months.

Brazilian Blowout on very curly hair

Brazilian Blowout on very curly hair

To address some FAQs:
How much time and money should I budget for my Brazilian Blowout?
Both are determined by length, thickness and texture; hair that is ‘average’ on all three counts should take around 2 hours and cost about $350. Beware deeply discounted rates on cheaper products falsely advertised as Brazilian Blowout™. Look for the logo!

Will it effect my color?
Hair should be colored before your Brazilian Blowout™, because it cannot be colored for two weeks after the treatment. It may remove about 1/2 shade from your hair, so if you’re seeing a different stylist for color, it’s good to advise them of that. Bonus: Brazilian Blowout™ absorbs deeper and lasts long on chemically-treated hair!

Why Brazilian Blowout as opposed to Brazilian Keratin Treatment or the other keratin treatments?
Brazilian Blowout™ is a superior product in an light but rich creamy base, and is the only major brand on the market which allows you to walk out the door with your process completely finished. Endless celebrities and ”regular women” have chosen Brazilian Blowout™ for its convenience, reputation and results.

What about the home versions I’ve heard of?
It would be easy to hurt yourself or forge a funky crimp into your hair. Have you ever seen a home perm that looked good? Or a major color change? It’s best to leave these things to the professionals.

Can I have a Brazilian Blowout while pregnant or nursing?
Despite what a certain celebrity and her stylist have recently chosen to do, Brazilian Blowout™ does not recommend their stylists perform the service on pregnant or nursing women.  More on this topic, here.

About Jordana:
Jordana Lorraine graduated from Vidal Sassoon in 1995 and specialized in color and extensions before focusing on Brazilian Blowout™. In addition to her Brazilian Blowout™ Certification, Jordana has spent a highly unusual 4 hours with the creator of the process, during which they discussed details of the treatment and worked on a client together.

Find Jordana  at Phenix Salon Suites in Marina Del Rey
www.jordanalorraine.com
contact: 310-922-2645

Here are Jordana’s personal before and after photos! Just to be clear, the color change is not due to the Brazilian Blowout!

Brazilian Blowout

Brazilian Blowout

Isn’t she lovely?

What do you think?  Are you willing to pay $350 for smooth hair?  Remember, curly hair doesn’t have to lose all its curl, it just becomes more manageable and less frizzy if air dried.  If you choose to blowdry, it will be smooth and shiny!

Would you get a Brazilian Blowout?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

*all images courtesy of JordanaLorraine.com

Be Sociable, Share!

Related posts:

Comments

1. Meream says:

Huh. Sounds astronomical to me. Wonder how much will that cost here…

2. Where do you live? Check the Brazilian Blowout stylist locator: http://brazilianblowout.com/StylistLocator.aspx. You should be able to call and speak with a stylist, and/or have a free consultation.

3. Jessica says:

This article talks about he Other Brazilian available at Concept Salon NYC. The treatment is keratin-based, like the Brazilian-straighteners used in many salons, however this one uses a substitute preservative called glutaraldehyde that makes it safe and gentle on the hair. There is NO formaldehyde in the treatment, making it non-carcinogenic. There is no mask you need to wear while it is applied. I have two friends who get it done to their hair and the results are amazing. And no uncomfortable burn at all. Seems like a good alternative to the original Brazilian Blowout.

4. Great article, Jessica! It prompted me to do some research as the process described sounds just like Brazilian Blowout™ (glutaraldehyde, no mask). I called Concept Salon and even though I was placed on hold 4 times for a total call time of 6 minutes, my one question was finally answered…the brand they use IS Brazilian Blowout™.

I think maybe you meant to compare it to Brazilian Keratin Treatment, which does contain formaldehyde: http://amominredhighheels.com/brazilian-keratin-hair-treatment/

For clients with formaldehyde allergy or sensitivity, check out Tammy’s most recent post on a keratin treatment with no hydes at all:

5. yolanda says:

I have read the info on glutaraldehyde
    it doesn’t sound safe at all
    it sounds like a derivative of formaldahyde
    lots of warnings and what happens when heated to 450 degrees
    lots of gases whether you smell them or not
    in fact one dr.says not safe for people in the vicinty let alone the accumalative effects it may have on operators including possibility of cancer
    look it up.. don’t take my word for it
    they keep saying its safe but is it really? the tobacco companys use to tell us cigarettes were safe
    the public finally caught on but how long
    are we being duped?
    there are lots of chemicals being used on hair today but at least there are warnings then its uo to the person to decide if they want to go that route but don’t promote as all natural etc. etc. just to sell your product or make money.

6. Tammy says:

Thanks for your input Yolanda. It’s great that you’ve done so much research. I don’t believe that Brazilian Blowout is trying to “sell” their brand as “Natural”, just a more gentle formula than the formaldehyde products. As a consumer, it is important, as you said, to do your own research before investing in a treatment. Have a consultation with a certified stylist, ask lots of questions and do research on the web to determine your own decision on the products.

7. Lauren says:

Hi,

I have curly hair like your model and I was wondering you could recommend a salon that does the Brazilian blowout in New York City. My salon only offers the Brazilian keratin treatment and /i would rather not use one with formaldahyde

8. Tammy says:

@Lauren: I checked the salon locator on BrazilianBlowout.com. They have 40 salons listed in NY city. Check the link here and type in New York, NY. You’ll get the full list :) Good luck!

9. Mojgan says:

Hello,I wanna order BrazilianBlowout ,I am in Malayisa may you help me how can I order that?

10. Tammy says:

Mojgan- you will need to be a certified stylist and contact the company. Here is their website: http://brazilianblowout.com/ Good luck!

11. Dee says:

I had been vacillating over doing a Brazilian Blowout for about a year. But didn’t want to sit in a chair for 5 hours and have to suffer through the horrendous smell of the product. Then my wonderful stylist informed me of the latest treatment not containing formaldehyde and taking less time cutting it to about 90 minutes in the chair, the cost, $450.00 to do the Brazilian Blowout which would include $150.00 in hair care products required for after the treatment, shampoo, conditioner and mask. Just about to make the decision to have the Brazilian Blowout done at my salon, a friend informed me she was in Beauty school and needed to perform a ‘Brazilian Blowout’ to graduate.

I took a leap of faith and put my long blonde fizzy hair in her hands. The result of which is a gorgeous shiny like glass head of hair! I absolutely love it. The weather where I live at the Jersey Shore ranges from 80 to 100 degrees with 70% humidity most summer days and nights, and my hair hasn’t frizzed one bit. Another benefit is, my hair blow dries in half the time it normally took to dry. I never in my lifetime thought I would have straight frizz free shiny hair living at the beach.

The Beauty school offers discounted rates in their salon. Normal price is $100.00 plus $120.00 for the after products. Because I have very long hair the cost was $150.00. And I choose to buy the Brazilian Blowout products at my local Beauty Supply store for $70.00 …total cost $220.00. And it was well worth it!

If you are tired of your frizzy hair, you no longer have to live with it, if you are thinking of having the Brazilian Blowout, Do It!

12. Tammy Gibson says:

Thank you for sharing your experience Dee! I’m so glad it turned out well for you! I agree, the BB is amazing!

13. Janice says:

I just got my second BB today. I love love love it! Last year I had chemotherapy and lost all of my hair. It grew back course and curly! Nothing like my soft, straight, thick head of hair I had before. I waited for it to get about 4 ” long and then splurged on the treatment. I would have spent more and done it sooner if I would have known how wonderful it is. It doesn’t smell at all. My regular stylist isn’t certified but she has done a lot of chemo hair. I asked her what my options were to control my impossibly difficult hair. It was so curly and frizzy that I couldn’t brush it and blow drying it made me cry. I didn’t think I would ever have “normal” hair again. It will remain a routine treatment for me until my chemo hair is gone. If my hair ever returns to my regual texture I might have a BB every six months.

14. @Janice Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with Brazilian Blowout. It is so nice to hear that it is helping you manage your hair through what is already such an intense time, that struggling with “new” (chemo) hair is an unnecessary frustration. Best wishes!

15. marie says:

Did it…love it…will do it again. Have done the Coppola Keratin one and this one is far better. A little more expensive but my cost included the 4 products needed to maintain it.

16. Darcy says:

I am getting a Brazilian Blowout tomorrow morning, cant wait to try it! I am going to a salon in St. Armands Circle in Sarasota called Les Ciseaux Salon and Spa. The cost is $ 300.00. I will let you know how I like it!

17. Marcelaine says:

I have very curly caucasian hair and am going to a salon in Austin one week from today from my Brazilian Blowout. I don’t want to lose my curls, just want to lose the frizz. My son also has very curly hair and he went to the salon 2 weeks ago and had it done-he was the guinea pig-and absolutely loves it. He still has his curls, but sans the frizz. I can’t wait. Will keep you posted on my results.

18. Dee says:

Hi Marcelaine – I lost my curl in addition to the frizz. Summer’s at the Jersey shore are very humid and my Brazilian Blowout has withstood the high humidity, my hair remained poker straight, even without blow drying. It’s been 7 weeks and I still love it!
    You may want to investigate further if you don’t want to loose curl.

Best Wishes! ~Dee

19. yolanda says:

FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND THEY ALL HAVE A CHEMICAL THAT TURNS INTO FORMALDAHYDE
    ONCE HEATED AT 450 DEGREES
    KERATIN ALONE DOES NOT STRAIGHTEN THE HAIR
    GOOGLE DR JESSICA WU AND HER COMMENTS ON HOW THHEY WEAKEN THE HAIR OVER TIME
    YOU ARE JUST COATING YOUR HAIR WITH CHEMICALS AND EXPOSING YOURSELF REPEATEDLY TO TOXINS
    THE JAPANESE STRAIGHTENER WAS THE LAST BIG THING AND SO MANY PEOPLE ENDED UP WITH BROKEN HAIR AFTER REPEATED SERVICES
    DON’T FOOL YOURSELVES
    DO THE RESEARCH
    KNOW WHAT YOU ARE BEING EXPOSED TO
    MANY PEOPLE NOW COMPLAING OF SICKNESS INCLUDING HAIR DRESSERS
    THERE IS NO MIRACLE IN CHEMICAL SOLUTIONS

20. @Marcelaine I am so happy your son liked his hair and i look forward to your review as well! Be sure you let them know your preference is to keep your curl. Enjoy!

21. @Yolanda There is no need to SHOUT, but thank you for the information regarding Dr. Wu. Unfortunately, like many other people, Dr. Wu is lumping Brazilian Blowout together with every other keratin treatment. BB has no “hydes” of any kind and does NOT require a waiting period after washing your hair. The 3-4 days she references is not stylist opinion as described, but manufacturers’ instructions from one brand to another. BB is moisturizing and leaves the hair softer than it was before. The keratin is there for strengthening, but no one ever claimed that was what makes it last. From the BB website:

“Through the use of a Brazilian Super Nutrient Complex and a proprietary polymer system, the Brazilian Blowout actually improves the condition of the hair by creating a protective protein layer around the hair shaft to eliminate frizz and smooth the cuticle”

It is this polymer that bonds the product to the hair instead of formaldehyde like some other solutions. Lastly, the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) does not test hair products because they are neither food, nor drugs.

22. carissa says:

I am a hairdresser and I offer two different kinds of straightening treatments at my salon,one of those being brazilian blowout. And every single straightening and smoothing treatment does indeed contain formaldahyde, or aldahyde or another form of formaldahyde. And contrary to what salons will tell you, the other forms of formaldahyde are even more dangerous for you than formaldahyde itself, its just a marketing scheme. But I have never had any complaints from any of my clients about any effects. I on the other hand, have very bad reactions to it. Burning eyes and throat. Its still a very up in the air procedure.

23. Jamille says:

I had the brazilian blowout done. I loved that my hair was frizz free, but it got too oily a day after I washed it and it made my scalp very dry, is that normal?
    My hair is naturally curly so when the hair stylist told me about this product she said it wouldn’t straightened my hair, but it did. Parts of my hair were still curly, so it didn’t look right air drying it, I had to blow dry in order to look even. Anyways, I let my hair grow out and I stopped going to that salon. I would like to get it done again, but only if my hair could still be curly, but with less volume and no frizz, is that possible or am I asking for too much?

24. Shauna says:

Hey there, i have extremely curly long hair and would like to try this. However i just fancy a change for a while, i like my curls and want them back as they are after the 12 weeks. Wil this be possible? Do u have any pics of people with similar hair that had this done so before and after and then after 12 weeks? Were people happy their original hair came back like it was? Or is the risk of my hair not coming back to itsoriginal state too high and i should leave it?

25. @Shauna You have good questions and valid concerns. If you are in Los Angeles, I would love to see you for a hair analysis and consultation. If not, the best thing you can do is find a trusted expert in your area, to do the same. Your natural texture and hair condition have a lot to do with the results you can expect, and it is important for the stylist to know your concerns so that s/he can advise on that, and adapt the process to your needs.

Sorry to be so vague…it really is different on each client, and the way it’s done/person who does it can make a huge difference. Good luck!

26. @Jamille I’m sorry to hear about your inconsistent results in the past. What you’re asking should absolutely be possible. Choose your stylist carefully, and go for a consultation in advance. Explain what happened last time, and what you do and don’t want from the treatment. While there is only one Brazilian Blowout product, the craftsmanship and care of the application and processing can make all the difference. Use this post to help you choose a stylist:

27. Jeanine says:

I just had my Brazilian blow out a week ago and I love it. I have naturally curly red hair and was slightly nervous but am very pleased. My only issue is that I tried to use hot curlers before a date to add some extra bounce and my curls wouldn’t hold! First time in my life! Lol. Regardless, I love my hair and will do it again.

28. @Jeanine So glad to hear you’re enjoying your Brazilian Blowout! it is usually extra-silky for the first few weeks, but should take a curl better soon!

29. Jennifer says:

I have naturally curly hair and was looking for just a softer curl as I was told would happen. I have to say that I lost all of my curl. My hair is naturally thin and fine so I really need and prefer curl to keep some body and oomph in my hair. I guess you have to have really thick curly hair in order to retain some curl after the BB. I wish I had been advised of that. Now my hair is baby fine and straight with no body at all. I am anxiously awaiting my curl to come back, but if you want a straight look this is obviously the way to go and I don’t have frizz. I with nok

30. @Jennifer I am sorry for your experience. The look you wanted should be acheivable using the Brazilian Blowout, or maybe the Brazilian Blowout Zero. You may want to consider trying again once this one fades out; just do some rsearch on local stylists and meet a few of the best for consultations. In the meantime, you can accelarate the fading of your results by using a clarifiying shampoo. Best of luck!

31. Savannah says:

Hi, I have been looking into the Brazillian blowout and am seeking some professional advice. I have extremely thick, frizzy hair, much curlier than Sarah’s natural hair in the image. It is also quite short, about sholder length. I was just wondering if you could give me any indication of the sort of results I would receive from this treatment, and also whether it would make it somewhat longer by pulling out the curls. Thank you!

Trackbacks

1. [...] Be informed, compare the Brazilian Keratin Hair Treatment to the The Brazilian Blowout™! Share and [...]

2. [...] Contributed by: Jordana Lorraine, Stylist, Colorist and Brazilian Blowout Specialist [...]