Preppy is back…well, not that it every really left. But spring seems to bring back the preppy basics in a big way! When else do you see nautical strips, boat shoes and white pants cuffed to perfection (yes, all worn together!). Maybe you have memories of turned up polo shirt collars or cable crew-neck sweaters carefully tied over your shoulders, I know I do. Preppy was big back in the 80′s when I attended high school and I attempted to be one of them (though none of us went to private schools or had names like Biffy).
In case you’ve forgotten or want to know, here are some hard set rules to preppy style, quoted from the book, “True Prep” by Lisa Birnbach. Of the many fashion rules, these are my favorite, either because I believe them too or because they are just funny:
- We wear sportswear. This is because it is easier to go from sporting events to special events (not that there is much difference) without changing.
- We generally underdress. We prefer it to overdressing.
- Your underwear must not show. Wear a nude-colored strapless bra. Pull up your pants. Wear belt. Do something! Use a tie!
- We do not display our wit through T-shirt slogans.
- Every single on of us- no matter the age or the gender or sexual preference- owns a blue blazer.
- Bags and shoes need not match
- Jewelry should noy match, though metals should
- High Heel rule: You must be able to run in them- on cobblestones, on a dock- in case of spontaneous footrace.
- Every preppy woman has a friend who is a jewelry designer.
- Sweat suits are for sweating.
Another rule is that you never go anywhere without a fabulous clean scent. Guess what the newest preferred scent is? Yes! Tommy Hilfiger’s new Eau de Prep! Tommy Girl Eau de Prep for Her contains pink peppercorn, violet leaf, white roses and sandalwood for a classic “Prep” feeling. The bottle is crisp and simple too (see top).
To celebrate the release of Eau de Prep, I invite you to try the Tommy Hilfiger “Get Prepped” app on Facebook — it’s a really fun way to show off your preppy style. I did it and found 3 great looks that I’d be happy to wear!
Eau de Prep is a Macy’s exclusive but one lucky winner can get it here!
I have a fabulous Prep Pack to share with one winner! The winner will receive this amazing Tommy Hilfiger Prep Pack, complete with many things Tartan (can’t be without if you are preppy!)!
I’m personally ga-ga over the watch and handbag! I received a Prep Pack also and it’s fabulous!
Entry 1 (mandatory): Share your favorite prepster icon or favorite preppy inspiration in the comments below
Entry 2 (optional): LIKE Tommy Hilfiger and Get Prepped on Facebook. Leave a comment on their wall that A Mom in Red High Heels sent you and please include this link: http://tinyurl.com/7fc7efu
Entry 3 (optional): Follow @amominred on Twitter and tweet: I want to get prepped with Eau de Prep by @TommyHilfiger http://tinyurl.com/7fc7efu
Deadline to enter:
January 16, 2012 @ 11:59 PM PST
Winner will be emailed. Failure to replay within 48 hours of email being sent will result in a new winner being selected.