image source: Pinterest
Many of you may find yourself in a public speaking situation, whether it is for your business, job or volunteer work. The fear of public speaking is common. In fact, Glossophobia, or the fear of public speaking, remains the #1 phobia, affecting 3 out of 4 people. Fortunately, it is a phobia that can be resolved.
When you practice something that scares you, eventually you get better at it. I used to be a teacher and all of my time in front of an “audience” helped me better able to speak in front of others. I even went to Toastmasters for about a year, competing in contests and speaking at the weekly meetings. They are super beneficial and I highly recommend looking into an area club if you are readying and willing to get past your public speaking fear. (find a club location on the Toastmasters website).
In addition to simply practicing the craft, the Mayo Clinic offers a list of tips to help you overcome your fear of public speaking. Their tips include:
- Know your topic
- Practice, and then practice some more.
- Visualize your success.
- Do some deep breathing.
- Focus on your material, not on your audience.
- Don’t be afraid of a moment of silence.
- Recognize your success.
- Get support (like Toastmasters).
You can read the full article here: Overcome Fear of Public Speaking.
To add to the list, I find that dressing comfortably and professionally helps relieve some anxiety. When you look good, you feel good.
A polished, professional look is important when you are speaking in front of a group! If you are worried about your cleavage showing or your bracelets are making distracting noise, you’ll have a hard time focusing on your speech. Instead, keep your look simple (not distracting!) and your accessories minimal.
Here are two business casual outfits to inspire your next speaking outfit:
Why it Works:
This is a beautiful Modern Sophisticate style that has just enough detail to make it interesting without being distracting.
- The navy dress is a nice knee length so if you have to sit on stage before your speech, you won’t show too much leg! (I just bought the last one but you can check out similar styles on Revolve! I can’t wait to wear it and share with you!)
- The heels are a gorgeous lizard embossed print and a perfect 3 inch heel.
- The ring and bracelet are both a two-tone metallic, which is classy but fun. They each give a bit of bling but won’t make a sound when you talk with your hands!
- The handbag is subtle and beautiful, large enough to carry your documents and personal items.
Why it Works:
This gorgeous outfit inspiration is for the Polished Ladylike style. It has more of a feminine flair to it but still looks professional.
- The foundation of the outfit is a pair of straight-leg black pants. The simple style of the pants compliments the peplum top.
- Adding a statement piece of jewelry is fine as long as it is not noisy. This torsade necklace will help you get noticed! Pair with a simple bracelet so the two pieces are not competing for attention.
- Your handbag should compliment your outfit. I love the bows on the sides of this satchel!
- The comfort of your feet matter when you are standing! Be sure your heels offer both comfort and style! If you don’t, you’ll definitely be distracted and it will impact your speech delivery!
I am speaking to a Mary Kay unit this week and sharing with them about how personal style matters to their business success. I’m super excited to present to this group of ladies and want you to help me pick out my outfit. Which of these two outfits should inspire my speaking outfit?
About the Shoes:
I was sent the gorgeous pumps you see in the outfits above to participate in the #PoweredByRockport challenge . The heels are the Total Motion Pointed Toe Pump in Valigia Lizard Embossed. They are available in 7 colors/textures. They offer ADIPRENE® by adidas sport technology helps provide shock absorbing heel cushioning and provided forefoot cushioning all day long. They are also designed with a TPolyurethane Midsole Plate to help provide mid-foot support and stability. The comfort level is great and the beautiful lizard embossed style satisfies my need for style.
TAMMY GIBSON, founder of A Mom in Red High Heels, is a Fashion, Beauty and Lifestyle Blogger | Red Heel Lover | Personal Development Enthusiast. Her personal motto is to live life with style and confidence! Become a VIP to stay in touch with Tammy and stay up-to-date on the latest beauty and style advice on A Mom in Red High Heels!