Who doesn’t love to mix it up a bit when it comes to life? New talents, new route home, new recipe, new friends…it all adds excitement to our days! Without change and challenge, we would become very boring, indeed.
Like life, fashion is more exciting when you mix it up! This fall, go a little out of your comfort zone and pair different patterns together to create cool new looks! To keep it simple and not-so-scary, here are a few tips for mixing prints:
- Keep the colors of the two prints within the same family.
- Choose a small pattern for one and a larger pattern for the other wardrobe piece.
- Mix textures, keeping one silky and the other more textured.
- Allow only a pop of one print to peek out from the other.
- If pairing a sweater and top, like I did, keep the bottom a solid.
- If pairing a dress with a sweater, keep your shoes solid.
- Make sure your outfit has a splash of color if you are pairing neutral tones.
- Use your accessories, like a clutch or necklace, to add another dimension of texture.
- Instead of mixing patterns, you could try garments that are mixed media. They will have at least two different fabrics on one wardrobe piece. This is a great fall trend to work into your casual and work style as you’ll find many options! I spotted several dresses, sweaters, jackets and pants at T.J. Maxx that were mixed media, mostly with leather-like detail. Be sure to check my Instagram pictures to see all the styles I shared!
About my look:
I purchased the top, sweater and wallet at T.J. Maxx. While I must admit, I am not typically a fan of collared tops, I am absolutely LOVING this designer top that I found! Because I was on the hunt for a top with a pattern, I tried it on. It has amazing bell-sleeves (that can also roll up and button at the elbow) and a soft- not stiff- collar. I know I am going to wear it a lot this fall! Learn from my example, you may find a total treasure by giving a garment a chance in the dressing room!
As for the sweater, it was love at first site. It has a sassy fit with the wide, solid panel at the waist. The 3-quarter sleeves give me versatility by layering over long sleeves on cooler days or wearing over a tank on warmer fall days. It looks equally as fabulous with a black pencil skirt as it does with a mini jean skirt!
When shopping for your a few items to mix into your current wardrobe, be sure to stop by the beauty department at T. J. Maxx! I found some great lip gloss options to give my lips a bit of shine for day, or lipstick for a more bold look for night! You can also stock up on seasonal lotions and shower gels, like the fabulous vanilla pumpkin shower gel I found!
T.J.Maxx is full of the same brand names and designer merchandise available at high end department and boutique stores at a fraction of the cost. You’ll love the quality and value! I’m guessing you’ll also be surprised, like I was, at how much you get to take home with you without draining your checking account! There is so much to love about fall shopping at T. J. Maxx!
Have fun mixing it up for fall! Share your outfits with me on Facebook!
Expressing yourself through fashion, and knowing how to put together a great look—at great value, is what being a Maxxinista is all about. At T.J.Maxx you can score the unexpected to make your own personal style statement. Here’s to rockin’ your real deal.
Compensation was provided by T.J.Maxx via Glam Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of T.J.Maxx.
BECOME A VIP FOR FREE. ENTER YOUR EMAIL BELOW AND RECEIVE:
- Surprises and VIP-only content for beauties like you!
- Tips and more to help you look your best every day!
- Find out about all kinds of cool stuff FIRST!
- Exclusive Giveaways!