The media has been on a kick lately showing TV personalities or models going sans makeup. The newest group to jump on the bandwagon is the Today Show, with a No Makeup Monday segment.
I understand media is making a statement that we should love ourselves with or without makeup. I hear the message and agree…we should love ourselves for who we are. What disheartens me is that so many women are responding that EVERY day is a no makeup day for them. I’m pretty sure Kathy Lee would agree that is going overboard. While her vibrant personality has certainly helped her in her career, without style, makeup and hair, she wouldn’t be where she is today.
While no one is condoning every day be a makeup day, it seems a good number of women are condoning every day be a no-makeup day. In my opinion, this is just as unhealthy for our self-confidence as thinking we need makeup every day.
Models and actresses are famous for going bare faced when not working to give their skin a break and allow it to “breath.” These ladies are practicing good sense. They know how to balance. We should follow their lead.
People wear make up to feel good about themselves, to play up an asset, or to cover up an imperfection because it makes them feel more confident to do so. The history of cosmetics spans at least 6000 years of human history so to wear makeup is not exclusive to modern society.
There are times when it is certainly appropriate to go sans makeup. There are also times when wearing makeup is the best option.
- When you are in business for yourself, put your best face forward. A little makeup goes a long way.
- When you are making videos for your website, job or non-profit, a polished look earns more respect.
- When you are interviewing for a job, your appearance matters.
- When dining with your man, spend some extra time getting ready. He’ll notice.
- You are shopping for new clothes and you want to feel like a knock-out! Rather than focusing on your dark circles, you can focus on how awesome your body looks in those jeans!
- You are getting your hair done. (you’ll love your hair more when you see yourself “ready”)
- Anytime you need to command respect. When you look put together, you’ll feel more in control and others will notice.
- Photo-ops. Looking back over the years, you’ll appreciate that you stopped to put on some mascara and gloss.
- When you want to feel like your most feminine self. Makeup is fun and feminine! Why not embrace this side of yourself?
- Ugly zits have you down. Love yourself even more with them covered up? Then do it! That’s the beauty of concealer!
- It’s a great cure for feeling frumpy!
- You want to be a success at work or in your business.
Let’s look at that last one a bit more. New York Times reported on this very topic in the article, “Up the Career Ladder, Lipstick In Hand“:
“WANT more respect, trust and affection from your co-workers? Wearing makeup — but not gobs of Gaga-conspicuous makeup — apparently can help. It increases people’s perceptions of a woman’s likability, her competence and (provided she does not overdo it) her trustworthiness, according to a new study, which also confirmed what is obvious: that cosmetics boost a woman’s attractiveness.”
They went on to say that the amount of makeup is important too. ““There are times when you want to give a powerful ‘I’m in charge here’ kind of impression, and women shouldn’t be afraid to do that,” by, say, using a deeper lip color that could look shiny, increasing luminosity, said Sarah Vickery, another author of the study and a Procter & Gamble scientist. “Other times you want to give off a more balanced, more collaborative appeal.”
Do you have to wear makeup? No, of course not. You are your own person. It all depends what you want in life. We’ve had a similar discussion before when we discussed why we should not wear slippers outside the home. Remember, caring about your outward appearance is not a bad thing, it’s actually a form of self respect to take care of yourself. Forget everything you learned about the “evils” of makeup. Use it as a tool to help you create your most beautiful, powerful life!
What are your thoughts on makeup? Is it overkill to say every day is a no makeup day? Would you go to work without your makeup on? Or, are you all for a bare face day after day? Why? I’d love to hear your thoughts!
#GetYourMakeupUp #GetYourBeautyOn #MakeupMatters