However, some of us have been given this shape by our Maker and rather than hate our bodies for it, we need to acknowledge that it is what it is and do our best to create a more balanced looking body. Dress with the intention to create the illusion of the shape you want.
Who has a triangle body shape? Basically, those whose hips are the widest point of their body.
You have a Triangle Figure if:
1. Your shoulders are narrower than your hips
2. You are a larger size on your bottom half
3. You have fuller hips, bottom and thighs
4. You have a more slender upper body
Your Goal: draw attention to your upper body and minimize your lower body.
- Choose lighter or brighter colors on the top and darker colors on the bottom.
- Horizontal lines can visually widen your body so avoid them on your lower body, but wear them on your top.
- Choose tops with hemlines that end above or below the widest point, especially when wearing contrasting colors on your top and bottom. Hemlines that stop on the widest part will accentuate the width.
- Add volume on top with jackets & coats that have wide lapels and structured shoulders.
- Choose tops with butterfly sleeves or off-the-shoulder necklines. You can also wear tops with details like ruffles, patterns or prints.
- Choose simple A-line skirts that fall just below the knee and skim the bottom half. Avoid styles that cling to the hips & thighs.
- Boot-cut or slightly flared dark wash jeans and darker trousers will help to visually slim the hips.
- Wear beautiful accessories, like statement necklaces or scarves, to draw the eye up.
- Avoid shoulder bags or cross-body bags that hit your body at the widest part.
- Avoid cargo pant pockets, flap pockets and any other pocket that will add bulk to your lower body.
- Avoid fabrics that add bulk to the lower body. Do wear them on top though! Bulky, cozy sweaters are made for you!
These three pieces are great examples of what you should wear on the upper part of your body to detract attention away from your lower body.
The ruffle top adds volume to your upper body. The light color draws eyes to it.
The statement necklace adds sparkle and shine (who isn’t attracted to that??) and attention toward your face.
The diagonal striped top with wide abbreviated sleeves definitely catches one’s eye, again drawing attention away from the hips.
When you draw attention away from your hips, or the heaviest part of your lower body, you will visually make them appear smaller. Dressing with intention for the win!
Learn more about your body type and what styles will compliment it the best, join me for my From Frustrated to Fabulous Style Coaching program. I’ll work with you exclusively to help you:
- Understand your personal style so you can quickly and easily shop for outfits that make you feel fabulous, so you never spend money on clothes you won’t wear
- Build a wardrobe that says you are a magnetic and confident woman
- Detox your closet of clothes and accessories that no longer serve your lifestyle
- Learn how to get ready in less than 5 minutes, and maintain you signature style
- Discover the tricks for always being ready to step out at a moment’s notice when you need to run out the door at the last minute.
- Learn ways to use your clothes to help you look more slim and sexy without losing weight.
Get started today! Learn more here: From Frustrated to Fabulous One-on-One Style Coaching Program