Using beauty tools can make you more beautiful…if you use them right! Too often, we misuse a tool and get frustrated with the results. A flat-iron is one such tool that can be misunderstood and misused.
The most common mistake is expecting the iron to straighten and smooth large sections of hair. While you may use a professional iron that reaches temperatures up to 450 degrees, your iron is not designed to straighten thick sections of hair at a time.
Here 10 steps to achieving silky, smooth, straight hair:
- First make sure your hair is completely dry.
- Apply a thermal-serum to protect your hair from the heat.
- Clip all of your hair up except a thin section of hair at the base of your neck.
- Place a section of hair (1 to 2 inches) between the iron plates and gently close the iron. Start as close to the roots as possible.
- Pull the iron away from your head and down your hair shaft. Be gentle. The iron should not be gripping your hair.
- Repeat, up to 5 times, until you receive the desired straightness.
- Move to the next section of hair until you have done your entire head.
- If you prefer a flip at the ends, just bring the ends out as your bring the iron down then up as you finish the section.
- Clean your iron when it is warm (not hot) with an iron cleaner to prevent build up of hair product. Regular use prolongs life of iron plates.
- Enjoy your silky smooth straight hair!
You’ll want to watch this NEW tutorial of “How to Get Super Straight Hair” from one of my favorite YouTube Celebrity Moms, Kandee Johnson! Kandee is a beauty inside and out and such a joy to watch on video. I adore her work and can’t wait to meet her someday!