Buying your perfect swim suit is always a daunting task, isn’t it? A few weeks ago, I headed to the fabulous Victoria Gardens to shop for a new summer suit. After trying on several suits and a variety of stores, I found a suit that both my husband and I really like.While my body is not quite in swimsuit shape the way I’d like but it’s not going to prevent me from enjoying the beautiful, cool pool water this summer.
After my experience, I have some really great tips to share with you that will help you find your perfect suit!
Before shopping, I had my list of features my new suit needed to have:
- make my bottom look small(er)
- make my top look big(ger)
- priced under $150
- be available in-store to try on
- not too skimpy, appropriate to wear around kids
Many of the stores I like at Victoria Gardens, like White House/ Black Market and Anthropologie offer their swim wear exclusively online. My first stop was Victoria’s Secret. I was measured for a bra to help me get the best size on my top piece. After trying several on, I found a few I liked but wasn’t ready to commit. I moved on to Macy’s where I tried on many, many suits.
I found shopping for suits at a department store to be easy. There were so many choices! The selection included itty-bitty, super trendy, sporty, and sizes for every body shape.
I was down to 2 options. My husband liked one, I liked the other. Ultimately, this is the suit I chose:
Here’s why I chose this suit:
- The ruffle on the top gives extra volume to my chest
- The tie top allows me to adjust the width since I have a small back. Plus, the criss-cross back is a super cute detail!
- The bottom has tie sides so I can adjust to prevent squeezed side fat.
- The vibrant color is fun and perfect for summer.
- There is enough coverage to feel comfortable.
- Priced at $62 for the top and $54 for the bottoms, it fit my budget.
With my left over budget, I went to Sephora to purchase the best self-tanner available: St. Tropez Bronzing Tanning Mousse. If you need a little help with your skin color this summer, go faux with St. Tropez!
The unofficial start to summer is almost here! With Memorial Day literally around the corner, it’s time to find your perfect swimsuit!
Suit Your Shape: Tips for buying your perfect swimsuit
- Get measured across your bust. 80% of women wear the wrong sized bra so your swimsuit top could very well be the incorrect size as well.
- If your top is smaller than your bottom, look for a suit with extra padding, molded cups, ruffles or graphic design to create the illusion of a fuller top.
- To minimize your bottom, get a bottom piece that ties at the sides to minimize binding on your sides. Also, look for a high cut to show more leg and take focus away from your thighs or hips.
- If you have a large bust, be sure to wear a top with lots of support with an underwire and cross-back straps. Tankinis and one piece suits help balance body proportions.
- If you want to hide your tummy (new moms, listen up!), camouflage with a fold-over waistline or an extra long ruched top. There are several swim wear designers that create suits like shapewear, pulling in at all the right places. Also, consider small patterns life floral or dots that work as camouflage.
- Shop major department stores with a wide variety of styles
- Only shop online if you know your size in the particular brand.
- As a mom, a certain degree of modesty is important. Save the skimpy suits for time alone with your husband! With that, don’t be afraid of a 2-piece! Readers agree, if you can rock it, wear it! Read: Should Moms Wear Bikinis?
Wishing you tons of luck in finding your perfect swimsuit. When you do, be sure to share with me in the comments or on Facebook.
Thanks to Victoria Gardens for providing a gift card for my shopping experience! If you live in the area, be sure to check out their calendar of events because there are many cool happenings this summer including summer concerts, movies in the part and yoga on the green! Plus, of course, fabulous shopping and dining!
BECOME A VIP FOR FREE. ENTER YOUR EMAIL BELOW AND RECEIVE:
- Surprises and VIP-only content for beauties like you!
- Tips and more to help you look your best every day!
- Find out about all kinds of cool stuff FIRST!
- Exclusive Giveaways!