A business must be run on professionalism. When you own a business, it is you that represents your brand. There is no avoiding the fact that when you work for yourself, you are the face of the company. While you may not be in a magazine ad or having face to face meetings with clients, you are a responsible for the first impression someone gets when they find out you own the hottest restaurant or boutique in town. Without a polished look, you might as well not introduce yourself.
Sound harsh? Well, it is reality. First impressions matter in a big way and you will not get a second chance to make a first impression. Let’s talk about some mistakes you may make with your makeup and how to fix them:
9 Makeup Mistakes That Make You Look Unprofessional
- You don’t wear makeup. Everyone needs makeup. Even the most beautiful women in the world look more polished with a touch of makeup. At minimal, concealer to camouflage dark circles and spots, mascara to lengthen lashes and lip gloss to give your lips moisture and shine. Be comfortable in your own skin without makeup but when you are working, be polished!
- Your makeup is too heavy. From foundation to eye shadow to lipstick, a light touch is exactly what you need to look professional. Too much says you are trying to cover up. You may leave the potential client wondering what you are hiding.
- Your concealer is too thick. Too much concealer, or the wrong kind, settles into your wrinkles and draws attention to the fine lines. Use a liquid concealer wand like Pixi Wakeup Concealer to get a soft, airbrushed finish.
- Your face powder is caked on. We all want to be shine-free but the continuous use of powder throughout the day just builds up layers on your face. Your skin can’t breathe and loses it’s luster. Solution? Try a translucent powder or blotting papers. Both absorb oil and leave your skin shine free.
- Hard lines around the eyes. Eye liner is meant to define your eyes and give them definition. When liner is applied too thickly or is too harsh, you look more ready for a rock concert than a business meeting! Instead of black liner, try navy or brown and blend well!
- You wear glitter anywhere on your face. In the world of business, glitter is generally a good item to avoid wearing. This includes shadow, mascara and lip product!
- Skipping blush. Give your face a nice healthy glow by applying blush on the apples of your cheeks. When you look healthy, you are more approachable!
- Neglecting your brows. Trimmed, nicely shaped brows give your face a beautiful frame! Apply a brow powder or pencil, using short, quick strokes. To find the right color for your brows, pick one that is a shade or two lighter than your natural brow hairs.
- Your lips are naked. Give your smile a boost of shine power with a lip gloss or balm if you are not wearing lipstick (if you do wear lipstick, see mistake #2). Your smile will be more welcoming and as a bonus, you’ll feel better with a little moisture on your lips!
While I am a fan of having fun with makeup as much as the next girl, keeping your work look professional will help you succeed more rapidly than crazy makeup or none at all! Finding a middle ground where your makeup is neither too heavy or non-existent is the key to finding your perfectly polished professional look!
BECOME A VIP FOR FREE. ENTER YOUR EMAIL BELOW AND RECEIVE:
- Surprises and VIP-only content for beauties like you!
- Tips and more to help you look your best every day!
- Find out about all kinds of cool stuff FIRST!
- Exclusive Giveaways!